That's Just the Way It Is

I'm the most fabulous person that you are ever gonna meet...that being said, read on...

Name:
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, United States

We met one late, fateful July evening in a parking lot...little did we know that almost two years later, we would be taking the plunge. Please join us in celebrating our new life together.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Update to Jaw Surgery Update

I found some pics that I had taken about a week after my surgery and just thought I would post them for whoever was doing research about Orthognathic Surgery (see previous surgery posts as well). Even though I looked fairly normal, I was in a ton of pain for about 3 weeks before the swelling really started to go down. Seeing these pics might make you feel a little bit better though. The best advice I can give you is to take Advil (3-4) every 4-6 hours and keep ice on your face at ALL times. This helps with the swelling and the faster the swelling goes down, the less bruising you get and the better you feel.

Day 7: This was me before my 1 week follow up appointment with the surgeon. Disclaimer: he did say that I was healing a lot faster than most other people who had the same types of surgeries. And he was surprised that I was already looking so good.






These next pics were taken the next evening...so 8 days after surgery.





I really hard to work hard to smile...almost exhausting...and I couldn't get each side to work at the same time.



Day 10


View of the contraption holding my mouth together. Not visible: 16 screws, four metal plates and a piece of human bone.







Approximately 12 Days After the Surgery



The Only Outward incisions that were made, one on each side. The inside of my mouth was totally mutilated though.



I you are thinking about having the surgery, I hope these pictures help you make whatever
decision is right for you. Good luck!


Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! I am getting upper and lower done in 2 weeks...I am super worried about looking extremely different. Did your nose change dramatically?

5/12/2010 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Emily said...

Crystal...my nose was a little crooked to begin with. During the surgery, my upper jaw was split in several places and the surgeon actually was able to straighten my nose out a bit when he re-positioned everything. In these pictures, it is definitely swollen but it went back to normal in a few weeks.

The bottom jaw changed my face more than anything because it changed my jaw line and face shape. The top surgery did change my cheek bone definition but not so much that I think I look really different. This is just me being critical, but my major complaint about the top surgery is that my upper lip totally covers my teeth when I’m not smiling because the surgeon had to move my jaw forward and up to reattach it. My smile looks a hundred times better than it did before though, so it’s really not a valid complaint, just something that I notice to be different.

5/12/2010 11:27 AM  
Blogger fan del auto-analisis said...

I'm sorry, I know this blog is from long ago, but I'm doing some research for treatement for my specific problem, I would like to know what was your? and what made you have surgery.
Thank you

11/16/2010 3:18 PM  
Blogger Emily & Daniel said...

My problem was an interior cross bite. My top jaw was more narrow than my bottom jaw and one side of my bottom jaw was longer than the other, making it slightly off to the left. I decided to have the surgery because my bite was horrible (couldn't eat an apple) and my teeth wouldn't stay straight because my bite didn't line up. I have a few other posts from the jaw surgery that you might want to read. Good luck!

11/16/2010 4:02 PM  
Blogger Esther Duran said...

Proper jaw alignment is very important, getting this surgery changed my life, I'm glad that you're recovering very well.

6/26/2019 1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home