That's Just the Way It Is

I'm the most fabulous person that you are ever gonna meet...that being said, read on...

Name:
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, United States

We met one late, fateful July evening in a parking lot...little did we know that almost two years later, we would be taking the plunge. Please join us in celebrating our new life together.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

My Vacation

My jaw is all jacked up...at least that's what the dentist, orthodontist, and oral surgeon seem say (not exactly in those words, I paraphrased). When I was growing up, I must have forgotten to drink my milk one day, because one side of my lower jaw grew longer than the other side of my lower jaw. Anyway, it left me with quite a mess when I got older. My teeth grew to match my jacked up bite, and no matter how many retainers and expanders and whatever else I had, it wouldn't un-jack itself.

Every dentist that I have ever been to has told me that I need jaw surgery (Orthognatic Surgery). Basically, they cut out the inside of my mouth, saw my jaw bones into several different pieces and then stick it all back together with little metal pins. It sounds awful and painful, but I think it might be worth it. I grind my teeth at night so bad that it wakes me up sometimes, I have awful TMJ, and after braces have started moving my teeth around, I can visibly tell which side is longer now.

So, I am going to have the surgery at the beginning of next year. It is crazy expensive and not covered by insurance and takes several weeks to be able to move my jaws again and 6 months to 2 years to recover fully. I will be using my vacation days from work as recovery time. Fun! I might not get a tan, but at least I will get some drug-induced rest and lose all that holiday weight, since I won't be able to eat solid food for about two months.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Em - we have a friend who just had kind of the same surgery for an overbite - they had to wire her mouth shut and she had to drink through a straw for 2-3 weeks!! They would blend up all sorts of food for her.......soup, chicken fried steak, burritos...=( Anyways - I'll help take care of you and blend up whatever you want!!!!!

8/04/2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger LoriLoo310 said...

Oh wow, that sounds like such an ordeal.

I can't believe insurance won't cover it! I'll be on the lookout for some good liquid recipies to send you :)

8/07/2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Kara (Turskey) Vaught said...

A liquid diet shouldn't be a problem for you. What I'm worried about is your job. Not the one at the office, the one on the street corner! HA! That shows you to make fun of my insults!!!

8/08/2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

em!! that stinks that you have to get surgery...but it will be worth it in the end if you'll be out of pain. I'll be looking for liquid recipies for you too! :)

8/14/2006 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..You don't know me but I can completely understand your jacked up jaw! I will be having orthognathic surgery in January...its been quite the ordeal! As far as insurance.. I've been in a big battle with my insurance company to pay for part of my orthodontics.. I've had my braces on for 7 months and they JUST decided to pay some! If you go to your oral surgeon he/she will most likely write your insurance company a letter explaining the severity of your condition. As long as they deem it a medical necessity and not for cosmetic purposes.. insurance should cover some of the cost. I've been told that even if they deny you.. you should appeal as much as possible! Good luck to you! If you have any other questions that I may be able to answer don't hesitate to ask..

-Larkin
(LNWILDE@gmail.com)

9/25/2006 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I just had surgery like 9 days ago (both maxilars). Not much pain involved, just a little uncomfortable because of the swelling. They rarely wire your mouth shut (didn't happen to me and it was kind of complicated: 6 hours in the OR) so I'm guessing you'll be just fine. My lips are still kind of numb and swollen so it's kind of hard swallowing and talking but hopefully I'll be much better in a week or so. The only tip I would have to give you is gain weight if you're skinny (I'm skinny and losing 1 pound a day!!!). Good luck! :)

12/03/2006 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home